Careers at Commercial
Senior IT Engineer
Available on request
Full-Time 37.5 hours per week
We have a vacancy based at an education Managed Service client in Reading, Berkshire for a Senior IT Engineer to provide support to all stakeholders (Teaching and support staff, students and visitors), provide overlay support to the school site and support the day‐to‐day running of the school’s ICT systems.
We want you to…
- Provide day-to-day support and management of the school’s ICT resources ensuring that there is adequate provision to meet the needs of the staff and students.
- Assist the Director of IT with business as usual projects and to take a lead in resolving infrastructure related issues.
- Provide management and support of the client’s core infrastructure, services and data within defined SLA’s to ensure a continuity of service to all users including fault diagnosis, resolution and escalation.
- Deploy end user hardware such as desktops, laptops and tablets, cabling, printers, AV equipment and other peripherals as well as deployment and management of end user software.
- Support school events and activities, ensuring that IT and AV are available for use when required.
You have got…
- A good logical approach to problem solving, excellent communication and stakeholder management skills with an ability to handle administration tasks with accuracy and have a willingness to learn new skills.
- Broad experience of supporting an IT infrastructure with particular emphasis on end user devices, support within an educational environment.
- Knowledge of VMWare Horizon would be advantageous but not essential.
- Excellent troubleshooting and diagnostic skills.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Windows operating systems, VMWare, desktop applications and associated hardware such as laptops, desktops, printers and peripherals.
- Experience of working within a structured IT support/helpdesk environment.
- An ability to communicate with multiple audiences at various levels: SLT, teachers, support staff and students.
- The capability of managing multiple work streams simultaneously so strong time management skills are a must.
- Experience in the following key technologies:
- Windows 10 (1809, 1909 & 2004) & Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016 & 2019
- Desktop and server hardware
- VMware ESXi, vSphere and vCenter
- Microsoft Office 365 and desktop office suite
- Google G Suite for Education
- Active Directory, Group Policy
- Networking – DHCP, DNS, TCP/IP, VLAN, switching, firewall, wireless, WAN
- Virtual server backup technologies such as Veeam
- Mobile device management - Apple (JAMF), Chromebook (G Suite) etc
- Audio & Visual Equipment, interactive screens, whiteboards and projectors
- Anti-virus technologies
- It would also be beneficial to have experience of:
- Apple Mac Technologies (OSX and iOS)
- Storage technologies e.g. SAN and NAS
- VMWare Horizon virtual desktop infrastructure technologies
- Web & E-mail Security in regards to child safeguarding
- Educational MIS systems (SIMS, Schoolbase, iSAMs etc).
- Teaching and learning applications and hardware
- Competitive salary
- Complementary refreshments including lunch during term time.
- We all get a generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays which increases with length of service
- A variety of training & Development programmes tailored to you
- Earn extra money if we hire your friends or family with our employee referral programme
- Looking for a little extra? You could get a day off for doing charity work and you might even get a treat on your birthday and work anniversary!
- A range of team and social events
- Cycle to work scheme, pension contributions, Employee support programme, Flexi time scheme and more
- Due to the nature of our clients, enhanced DBS is essential.