Careers at Commercial
Group Purchasing Director
Available on request
Full-Time 37.5 hours per week
GROUP PURCHASING DIRECTOR
To assume full responsibility of the group purchasing strategy across the office supplies and print divisions and be a major influencer on IT and Interiors procurement strategy. Working alongside the senior management team and reporting to the board you will be expected to determine and implement the short, medium and long term vision for the purchasing team in line with our corporate goals and aspirations.
Supplier / Product Strategy:
- Produce through collaboration with your peers and superiors, a short, medium and long term business plan for the purchasing department, with particular vision on;
- Product strategy
- Margin improvement
- Commercial own label proliferation
- Innovative products line launches which complement the current offering
- Working alongside the pricing manager, produce, maintain and monitor a product strategy for office supplies which maximises margin.
- Oversee and contribute to group plans regarding product stocking strategy.
- Contribute to improved margin across office supplies and print through intelligent procurement and product selection.
- Lead / be part of the product selection committee for physical and virtual product catalogues.
- Carry out regular market testing and tenders to ensure we have the most competitive and best fit deals in place across the group.
Reporting / Communication:
- Produce a set of measures which enable you to track the stages and successes/set-backs of your business plan and communicate this via monthly presentation at our sales development meetings.
- Work closely with print team and vendors to de-risk customer stock exposure, maintaining a minimum 1%-1.5% stock write down on customer own stock, by working closely with sales leaders.
- Sensitively protect rebate income.
- Assume responsibility for all group purchasing decisions/supplier selection, with final sign off by the group board. Supplier selection to be focussed on (price/service/ethics/accreditation)
- Responsible for monitoring supplier performance (costs/service/innovation).
- Put in place supplier contracts with terms and clauses which reflect the commercial requirements of our company, with particular focus on price/service social and environmental credentials.
- Ensure that critically price sensitive products such as EOS and paper have very specific supply chain clarity on cost price, which ensures the business remains aware of what the market rates are and thus enables us to remain aggressively cost priced.
- Oversee annual supplier audits, categorising suppliers by importance, criticality, and service performance.
- Re-create a specials department to deliver exceptional service to the sales communities, customers and drive specials to improve sales and margin for the office supplies and print division. Launch the specials team to the sales community / customers.
- Ensure high levels of supplier engagement at our annual CSR days.
- Work hand in glove with suppliers, marketing and IT to ensure product data is of the highest quality on all IT systems, internally and externally facing to maximise sales and drive margin, upsell and cross sell.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience of evidenced success managing a purchasing function (including personnel) within the office supplies market, or closely linked industry sector.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Natural leader that can provoke thought, innovation and drive change through positive collaboration.
- Evidenced experience of reducing supplier cost prices.
- Evidenced experience of maximising supplier rebate income.
- Evidence of on-boarding new products / suppliers.
- Experience of managing to a successful conclusion challenging procurement situations, with evidence provided.
- Contract creation and negotiation experience at board/senior director level.
- Experience of launching new product verticals with evidenced successful results.
- Experience of working with leading manufacturers/supplier negotiations.
- Evidence of business plan writing experience, strategy creation and execution, with successful outcome.
- Competitive basic salary
- Company car
- Company laptop and mobile phone
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) increasing with length of service up to 29 days
- We also offer other benefits including a Company contributory pension scheme (in line with auto enrolment legislation), childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme and employer support volunteering scheme
37.5 hours per week to be worked between the hours of 9:00am - 5:30pm Monday to Friday. However, additional hours and occasional overnight stays may be required to meet the demands of the role.
ABOUT THE COMPANY:
Commercial Group was established in 1991 and has since grown to become the largest independently owned Business Services Group in the UK. Today, comprising of 4 divisions; IT Services, Office Supplies, Interiors and Print, the £65m turnover Company is renowned for delivering superior quality product, service and consultancy to business nationwide.
We are currently embarking on exciting and ambitious growth plans to grow to a turnover of £70m by 2019 so we need talented people to support this growth. We understand that superior performance starts and ends with our people; people with passion who like to make a difference and most importantly love what they do. If you would like to be a part of this exciting journey then we would love to hear from you!
Want to work here?
Contact our head of HR Jenny Hodgson for an informal chat on 01242 703400 or fill in our form.