Careers at Commercial
Available on request
Full-Time 37.5 hours per week
We currently have a vacancy based from our Head Office in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire for a Buyer within our Office Supplies Division.
The key purpose of the role is to help generate and deliver the purchasing business plan working alongside the Purchasing Director and the Purchasing teams across the group and to be the day to day contact of our office products suppliers ensure the efficient management of our supply chain.
We want you to…
Supplier / Product Strategy:
- Contribute and influence to the short, medium and long term business plan for the purchasing department, with particular emphasis on;
- Product strategy
- Margin improvement
- Commercial own label proliferation
- Innovative product line launches which complement the current offering
- Negotiate identified potential cost price and rebate savings with our vendor base.
- Identify the most profitable and supplier sources for our office product skus.
- Work with the pricing teams ensure that our system reflect the correct, negotiated, cost prices.
- Contribute to group plans regarding product stocking strategy.
- Improve margin across office supplies through intelligent procurement and product selection.
- Be part of the product selection team for physical and virtual product catalogues.
- Carry out regular market testing and tenders to ensure we have the most competitive and best fit deals in place across the group and play an active part in delivering these tenders.
- Play an active part in the group’s sustainable product strategy and work closely with the CSR teams.
Reporting / Communication:
- Maintain a register of key KPI’s agreed with the Purchasing Director and report regularly the success or failure against these measures
- Work closely with print team and vendors to de-risk customer stock exposure, maintaining a minimum 1%-1.5% stock write down on customer own stock, by working closely with sales leaders.
- Sensitively protect rebate income.
- Ensure that our product buying maximises our supply chain efficiency.
- Manage the day to day contact of our key office product suppliers.
- Actively seek new sources of supply and recommend any potential new vendors.
- Be responsible for monitoring the day to day supplier performance (costs/service/innovation).
- Put in place supplier contracts, alongside the Purchasing Director, with terms and clauses which reflect the commercial requirements of our company, with particular focus on price/service social and environmental credentials.
- Ensure that critically price sensitive products such as EOS and paper have very specific supply chain clarity on cost price, which ensures the business remains aware of what the market rates are and thus enables us to remain aggressively cost priced.
- Contribute to annual supplier audits, categorising suppliers by importance, criticality, and service performance.
- Ensure high levels of supplier engagement at our annual CSR days.
- Work hand in glove with suppliers, marketing and IT to ensure product data is of the highest quality on all IT systems, internally and externally facing to maximise sales and drive margin, upsell and cross sell.
You have got…
- A minimum of two years purchasing experience within the office supplies market, or closely linked industry sector.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- The ability to be self-motivated and confident in the presence of senior vendor and internal representatives.
- Competitive salary
- We all get a generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus bank holidays which increases with length of service
- A variety of training & Development programmes tailored to you
- Company car, laptop and mobile phone
- Bonus scheme (paid quarterly upon achievement of KPI’s)
- Earn extra money if we hire your friends or family with our employee referral programme
- Want to get healthy? We have free fruit delivered for all staff! And our state of the art coffee machine will be sure to set you up for the day
- Looking for a little extra? You could get a day off for doing charity work and you might even get a treat on your birthday and work anniversary!
- A range of team and social events
- Cycle to work scheme, pension contributions, Employee support programme, Flexi time scheme and more
37.5 hours per week. Monday to Friday, 09.00 – 17.30. Occasional overtime and overnight stays will be required to meet the demands of the business. Occasional supplier and product show visits.